2017 has been a momentous year for BMW, especially in their SUV line-up. The newly added 2017 BMW X5 is yet another inclusion that is certain to boost BMW’s sales. It features a string powertrain configuration, with 3 separate engine choices. Along with that, it looks stylish and post-modern in its design.
The Bavarian automaker have created a unique blend of on-road and off-road travel comfort with this new model of BMW X5. 2017 BMW X5 interior style has been revamped as well, considering its predecessors. This crossover SUV is certain to catch lots of attention among buyers with a plug-in hybrid variant this coming year.
2017 BMW X5 offers 2 standalone gasoline powered engine choices for buyers, coupled with a 3rd plug-in hybrid powertrain option. This kind of diversity and scope of customization should attract a lot of customers who prefer this kind of freedom of choice.
- The base engine model is a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline 6-cylinders setup that can produce around 300 HP of max power, as well as around 300 lb-feet of max torque.
- A separate optional gasoline engine is also available. It offers a 4.4-liter turbocharged V8 unit that can produce around 445 HP of max power, with 480 lb-feet of max torque.
- Its plug-in hybrid system features a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline 4-cylinders engine. It is a paired with a 9.2 kWh Lithium-ion battery to deliver a total power output of 308 HP and 332 lb-feet of max torque.
Fuel Economy and Performance
2017 BMW X5 offers no exceptional fuel economy figures when it comes to its genre of luxury SUV. All power configurations are mated alongside an 8-speed automatic STEPTRONIC transmission module. However, considering its power packed performance specs, its EPA ratings look quite good.
Its standout mileage rating is certainly for its plug-in hybrid system, which offers an all-electric range of 14 miles. As a combined gasoline and electric output, it has an EPA rating of 58 MPG.
Its base engine offers an acceleration of 0-60 MPH in 6 seconds, whereas its V8 engine improves that figure in just 4.7 seconds. Fuel economy of its base engine stands at 18 MPG in city drive, 25 MPG in highway drive as well as 21 MPG in combined drive train.
Styling and Design
2017 BMW X5 has introduced significant design changes when it comes to its interior styling and configuration. Its exterior chassis has been slightly modified as well, with a few additions and certain changes.
- A brand new tapered roofline offers a unique platform design, including lower window lines and a modified kidney grille.
- Modified dashboard configuration, with a driver-centric cockpit design and optional premium upholstery.
- Additional technological changes include better infotainment module, improved safety features and a stunning cabin design.
2017 BMW X5 Price and Release
This model offers its base engine model at an MSRP of $55,500. Its higher powertrain variant is available for $72,300. Both rear as well as all-wheel drive train configurations are available for sale. At this range, expect this SUV to face stiff competition from the likes of Mercedes GLE Class and Porsche Cayenne. 2017 BMW X5 is starting sale soon, by the first few months of 2017.