Marking its prominence as a highly safe compact crossover SUV is the new 2017 Toyota RAV4. With a host of technological updates, this new Toyota RAV4 also gives vehicles like Subaru Forester, Mazda CX-5 and Hyundai Santa Fe a seemingly tough competition.
For 2017 generation, this new Toyota RAV4 comes in 5 different iterations. These trims and their respective pricing go as:
- LE – $24,000
- XLE – $26,000
- SE – $29,000
- 2017 Toyota RAV4 Limited – $31,000
- 2017 Toyota RAV4 Platinum – $34,000
The 2017 Toyota RAV4 comes with a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine for achieving power outputs of 176 HP of power at 6,000 RPM and 172 lb-ft of torque at 4,100 RPM. This engine is coupled with a 6-speed automatic transmission and sends power to front-wheels only. Fuel economy of this powertrain goes as 23 mpg in city, 30 mpg on the highway and 26 mpg on a combined scale. Other details include:
- Ignition – TDI (Toyota Direct Ignition)
- Fuel system – Sequential MPI
- Emissions – ULEV-II, SULEV
A promising performance is the sole concern of Toyota RAV4 2017 as it comes with a revised drivetrain. Several performance specs of this model include:
- Dynamic Torque Control – an innovative all-wheel drive comes optional in this 2017 RAV4 as part of the DTC. This ingenious feature monitors terrain and drive type to manage and distribute power between thefront and rear wheels.
- Drive Modes – two drive mode; ECO and Sport lets the driver choose between a sporty performance or fuel savings. Accessing this feature is very convenient as dedicated buttons have been placed on the cabin.
- Paddle Shifters – convenient paddle shifters in the steering wheel come as an optional package which lets the driver access manual shifting without letting go of the wheel.
Exterior and Interior Modifications
The new Toyota RAV4 2017 retains its heritage/iconic outer look while incorporating some refinements. This model’s front fascia looks more pronounced as the headlights and grille are arranged in a single cluster. This grille grows downwards, and the headlights integrate LED daytime running lights along the border and turn signals drift towards the front fender.
All the wheel arches of 2017 Toyota RAV4 wear black plastic cladding which creates a sporty profile. Up top, the rugged roof rails are accompanied by a fin-like shark spoiler and rear overhang. 17-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels come standard while 18-inch 5-spoke variants are available as an option. The door handles are finished in chrome, and outside mirrors integrate power turn and blind spot monitors. Changes are prominent on the taillights as they now look muscular.
Things remain familiar in the interior cabin as the dash and center console retains the previous layout. The infotainment system’s controls are a mixed bag of rotary and push-button type. Arousing a great sense of sophistication is the contrast thread stitching which has been done on the dash, steering wheel, seats, central armrests and door panels.
2017 Toyota RAV4 Safety
This new Toyota RAV4 comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) which comprises an array of modern safety technology. Some of these include:
- Lane Departure Warning (with Steering Assist)
- Pre-Collision System
- Pedestrian Detection
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Automatic High Beams
The SUV also integrates a 360-degree camera with sync to its automatic parking assist feature.